Prince George's Heritage






Hilleary-Magruder House

The Hilleary-Magruder House was built c. 1743 by William Hilleary. During the time it was owned by Richard Henderson, it is believed to have been visited by General Washington. The General mentions in his Revolutionary War diary that on May 9, 1787, he dined at Richard Henderson's in Bladensburgh. It is built of stone which may have been "ballast stone" from English ships. The entire house has been covered over with a stucco type cement, but no other major structural change has been made since the early days of its existence.

The Magruder House now serves as home to Prince George's Heritage.

In May, 2009, the Maryland State Highway Administration (SHA) and the Center for Heritage Resource Studies (CHRS) at the University of Maryland conducted a significant archaeological study of the grounds of the Magruder House.  Subsequently, the team studied the Market Master's House and Market Square, as well as the George Washington House in Bladensburg. The research is in preparation for the Bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the Battle of Bladensburg in 1814.

A blog of the project can be found here:

A map of Magruder House location:

Click here for map

4703 Annapolis Road
Bladensburg, MD 20710

2008-2011 Prince George's Heritage
Last modified: 10/03/11